This lesson continues the exploration of what happens if a young person is found guilty of a crime. Students will learn about probation orders and explore how they are applied.
1. Review what students know about youth sentences from previous lesson.
2. Distribute Probation to read as a group, then lead class in completion of corresponding questions.
3. To introduce the application of probation, distribute Case Study: D.P. v. R. to consider as a class.
4. Break students into smaller groups to consider Case Study: R. v. S.B. Students should discuss these questions:
5. In order for students to understand the consequences of breaching parole, have smaller groups next consider Case Study: R. v. J.H. Students should again discuss these three questions: